Russell United Methodist Church
Monday, December 11, 2017
Come Grow With Us !

Our History

 

Celebrating Our Past
 
We celebrated our 150th anniversary in the year 2004. During that time, we recounted the events that are a part of our heritage.
 
Religious services were first held in private homes during the years 1830- 1851 with circuit riding pastors coming through as often as possible.

In 1852 a log schoolhouse was built at the corner of Fox Hill Road and Akeley Hollow Road. It became the meeting place for the church members with Rev. C. Irons during 1852-1853. In 1883 the village of Russellburg was renamed Russell so Russellburg Methodist Church was changed to Russell Episcopal Church.  During the early years, the church allowed various denominations to rent the building for their services, so the church was referred to as the Russell Union Church.
 
The church was dedicated in 1854 with Reverend S.S. Burton as pastor. The lot on Main St. was purchased on June 18, 1854 from Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Marsh for $100.00. Lumber at this time was $2.00 for 1000 feet.

The Methodist Episcopal Church supplied ministers until 1968. In April 1968 when the Evangelical United Brethren Church Conference merged with the Methodist Church Conference, the church then was renamed the Russell United Methodist Church.
 
An extensive remodeling project was begun in 1903. The roof was changed, and a new one put over the old one. The spire was removed and the present steeple was erected.
 
In 1922 the church remodeled the sanctuary by constructing a balcony and a choir loft.  In 1940 the board of directors authorized the Men’s Bible Class to excavate a space under the church for a new classroom. This portion of the existing basement was dedicated in 1946 at no cost to the church board.  The basement was enlarged in 1954 to provide a kitchen and dining room.  A furnace was also installed.
 
In 1949 new pews were given in memory of Lieutenant Arthur Lindell by his parents Andrew & Delia Lindell. Lieutenant Lindell was killed in World War II.  The bookracks were donated by his sister Mrs. Alice Branstrom.

A new organ was purchased in 1949 by donations and proceeds from public dinners.  The chimes were installed in 1957 in memory of Dr. and Mrs. Charles H. VerMilyea.

The education building, Wesley Hall, was built behind the church in 1964. In 1974 new siding was put on the church and in 1987 a new entrance porch ramp and steps were built.

Pastors That Have Served Our Church

Simon S. Burton 1854-1856
James Gilfillan 1856-1857
Edward A. Anderson 1857-1859
John C. Scofield 1859-1861
Samuel N. Warner 1861-1862
Peter Burroughs 1862-1864
David Mizner, Zaccheus W. Shadduck 1864-1865
Warner Bush 1866-1867
Samuel Hollen 1867-1868
Charles W. Reeves 1868-1869
Henry W. Leslie 1869-1871
Joseph F. Hill 1871-1872
Francis A. Archibald 1872-1874
Edward Brown 1874-1876
Abraham H. Bowers 1876-1878
Lucius J. Bennett 1878-1880
Lucian F. Merritt 1880-1882
Clement W. Miner 1882-1884
Cornelius C. Hunt 1884-1887
Jeremiah Garnett 1887-1889
William A. Heath 1889-1890
Louis W. Elkins 1890-1891
Cornelius C. Hunt 1891-1894
Charles R. Thompson 1894-1895
Augustus E. Ryan 1895-1896
John W. Wilson 1896-1897
Arthur B. Wilkinson 1897-1899
Wilfred H. Childs, Samuel L. Todd 1899-1901
S. J. Servoss 1901-1905
L. M Hiller 1905-1906
J. J. Giblin 1906-1907
Herbert H. Clare 1907-1909
Sidney J. Sarver 1909-1913
William A. Thornton 1913-1914
Artland L. Pardee 1914-1919
C. J. Feig 1919-1920
Perry F. Haines 1920-1922
George C. McDowell 1922-1926
Arthur A. Swanson 1926-1929
Harold L. Knappenberger, Sr. 1929-1936
Rueben K. Rumbaugh 1936-1939
Robert S. Naylor 1939-1942
David O. May 1942-1943
Palmer N. Taylor 1947-1949
John Buck 1949-1956
Clifford C. Headland 1956-1962
Arthur F. Hummel 1962-1970
John A. Squires 1970-1974
Lloyd D. Tennies 1974-1979
Timothy M. Storms 1979-1983
Marshall K. Snyder 1983-1992
Gerald Lundeen 1992-1993
John Patrick Lenox 1993-2002
Gary K. Donaldson 2002-to 2010
Dave Heckman 2010 to 2016
Jerome Kennedy 2016 to Present

 

 
 

 

 
 
UpperRoom Daily Devotional
Choosing the Best
Thought for the Day
Chart how you've spent your time in the last week. What priorities does your chart reveal?
Powered by United Methodist Communications